Mt. Ulap, as its name suggests, makes every trekkers feel like they’re walking on the clouds (ulap in tagalog). The mountain trail perfectly sits on the right altitude where the clouds and heavy fog forms. The mountain also showcase scenic views with Batanes like grass with a touch of towering pines.
Mt. Ulap is located in Brgy. Ampucao, Itogon, Benguet, which is just an hour or less of jeepney-ride from Baguio City proper. Mt. Ulap is just one of the long list of mountains within the Cordillera region. Another nearby mountain is Mt. Ugo which is very visible on the trail of Mt. Ulap.
Mt. Ulap can be traversed in just around 4-6 hours. It so happened that there were no other visitors when we got there. The whole mountain was solely ours to enjoy. It was so peaceful. With the clouds around, it’s like walking in heaven. We were able to capture great photos with no other people on the background. I would really love to go back there someday.
How to get there:
- Go to Lakandula st. near Baguio City public market, where you can ride a jeepney with a route passing Philex road and Brgy. Ampucao. Fare is around 30php.
- Ask the driver to drop you in barangay hall of Ampucao.
- Register on the baranggay hall and pay the fees. A tour guide will be given. All tourists are now required to register and get a guide.
- From there the guide will take you and trek with you towards the summit.
What to expect:
- The trail is quite easy, but the trek lasts for hours about 3hrs towards the summit.
- Plenty of scenic views.
- There are wild strawberries on the trail.
- You might encounter free-range cows.
- Fog might appear from time to time, which may affect the clearing at the summit.
- Due to low temperature, sun burns can’t be felt. Better protect your skin.
- Disposal of trash is prohibited on the mountains.
Mt. Ulap is an option for beginners and for those who would like to enjoy great views but does not like to trek on challenging trails.